Fall/Winter Programming Announcements
After careful consideration and review, OCLRE has decided to move our fall/winter student programming online. Below, please find program specific updates about what to expect for this program season. More detailed information, training documents, and tutorial videos will be released in the coming months to ensure that everyone is ready to deliver a high-quality program year for our students!
High School Mock Trial
- Districts and Regionals will take place online, via Zoom.
- In the winter, we will decide whether to hold States in-person or virtually
- Each school will be limited to entering three teams in the competition.
- We encourage schools with more than three teams to hold internal scrimmages to select the students that will represent their school in the competition.
- Teams will compete in two trials at Districts, and for those that advance, two trials at Regionals.
- Due to the large number of trials that will need to be conducted online, the competitions will be held over successive days:
- Districts: January 22, 23, 29, 30
- Regionals: February 19, 20
- Teams will be given a choice of competition day, in order of registration, on a space-available basis.
- Recognizing the economic hardship schools are facing, the cost of the competition has been reduced to $100 per team
- More specifics regarding the format will be discussed at the Mock Trial conference, which is free for those purchasing a case file, scheduled for September 30, 2020. Check out more Mock Trail details here.
High School We the People
- The date remains as originally planned on January 29th
- The competition will be held online, via Zoom.
- We will maintain the format of two questions per unit.
- Students and their teachers will follow a schedule of meeting rooms to “travel” to each of the judging panels for the respective units.
Middle School We the People, Middle School Mock Trial, Moot Court
- We are delaying deciding whether to hold these events in-person or online until more informed decision can be made about the state of the Pandemic in the spring.
- In the event these programs are held in-person, accommodations will be made for schools to attend virtually.
This is a big change and will have far-reaching impacts on everyone involved. Throughout the fall, we will be releasing training guides, tutorial videos, and general resources. Watch our website, social media, and YouTube channel to stay up-to-date!